Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Word Wall


I’m building a wall
Out of words.
Cementless,
Unequally shaped,
Yet almost coherent;
Strong enough to keep in a sheep.
Strong enough to keep out any but the wiliest fox.
Some of the words are boulders,
Others pebbles.

​ Walls demarcate:
Families inside,
Neighbors outside.
Without walls, there are only strangers passing through:
Not judgeable, therefore not trustable.

​ This wall I’m building
Is my private property,
But you are welcome to come in.
I’d love to show it to you,
If you are the kind of person who appreciates walls;
Otherwise, no.

​ Perhaps I just need to prove that I can build a wall,
Whether to impress you,
Or just to reassure myself.
“I built a wall; I at least did that.
It isn’t a very good wall;
It wasn’t easy to get the top straight;
It does the job though.”

Otherwise, where would I put all these misshapen words,
All this rubble of babble?
Some say a wall of words is an illusion,
Like currency;
But I don’t buy it.
If everything is an illusion,
Then illusion is real.
Words have consequences:
Step inside.

7 comments:

  1. I love 'rubble of babble' and the beautifully throwaway, 'an illusion, / Like currency'. (Oh yes, I quite see that currency is, now that you point it out.) I'm reminded, in places, of Frost's fence – but no, this is your own wall, and it looks very well built to me. Most of all I love the last four lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Families inside," just makes me envious of wanting family inside those walls! I have one who is always on the outside, and the rest of us live easier that way. It's sad, but...

    "Not judgeable, therefore not trustable." There's something to be said for that, regarding strangers!

    Now I'm reminded of Simon and Garfunkel's I am a Rock. Which in turn leads me to John Donne. Oh, a twisted road this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a person who appreciates walls ~ walls that protect my loved ones and friends, walls strewn with art and color .... yours sounds intriguing, let me in please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Without walls, there are only strangers passing through"... I would think EVERYONE can walk through, family or strangers. Just no rules or protection. Interesting take on walls - I'm all for them as long as there is a gate or doorway somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ones home is a castle where we usually feel safe but we are strange people as we trust almost nobody these days. I can remember coming home from school and with both parents working would have to find the key in a hiding plqace to get in. This was usually found by putting my fingers in the letter box on the front door and finding it there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Yet almost coherent" resonated with me - I am trying to read Ulysses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think words have power and can stop a threat. Rabble of babble was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...