Monday, March 1, 2021

In Praise of Income Tax

I love the income tax,
I’m very glad to pay it;
It makes the world a better place.
I’m not afraid to say it.
To spread some of the wealth around
Enhances any nation,
If, like all acts of virtue,
It’s performed in moderation.

Sing praises to the income tax,
Oh people near and far:
The more you have to pay of it,
The better off you are.
Instead of revolution,
With bloodshed, ruin and strife,
How sweet it is to write a check
And get on with your life.

Not everybody has quick brains,
Clear vision or bold pluck,
Robustness, or resilience,
Or, most of all, good luck.
So, be a hero, not a jerk,
Should you be blessed with stacks:
Please act as if you’re all grown up
And gladly pay your tax.

10 comments:

  1. Jaunty write Graham and with clear message too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me smile! A take not commonly expressed, so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, quite and simple ~ at my age, I no longer pay tax! Even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every poetic word is true! Those taxes pay for those things we from which we benefit! I especially like the admonition not to be a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how direct and simple this is. I pay my taxes and hope that it gets used in the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guess is there won't be much competition for this positive outlook on taxes! Well written. It left me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you entirely, though I wish our priorities about how those funds are spent were rethought; maybe fewer battleships and bombs, maybe a few more well-fed babies, well-paid workers, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure most of us do pay our taxes but there are others who are well off find ways to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen I second that. Well written!! In the Netherlands we used to have a great social system when I still lived there. We had no rich and no poor people Nearly all were middle class. Unfortunately the tax went down for the rich and the system is broken down

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite correct – though I do wish it might be more equitably levied. In Australia it is similar to what Marja says about Holland – too many concessions for the very rich. However I had better not complain too much; like Helen I am in the fortunate position of not having to pay taxes any more, not so much because of my age as the fact that I don't earn enough income to warrant it.

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...