Wednesday, March 3, 2021

I’m Looking for a Mind at Work

I’m looking for a mind at work,
Compassionate and giving,
A consciousness that seeks the good
Of every creature living.
I’m looking for a sense of care,
A bias for protection,
But when I dare to stop and stare,
I just see blind selection:
The cuckoo raids another nest,
And Smokey grabs a rabbit,
While soccer moms strike squirrels down,
Just out of callous habit.

I’m looking for a higher love,
But only find a scheme;
An algorithmic strategy,
A program, not a dream.
I’m looking for a miracle,
If only on occasion,
But Nature’s brutal wheel just turns,
Quite heedless of dissuasion.
The suffering of innocents—
A cliché for good reason,
For in all weathers, hot or cold,
They’re never out of season.

I’m looking for a mind at work,
And likewise so are you;
I just can’t find a trace of one,
I know that irks you too;
For though we’re told the road is long,
And that the gate is narrow,
We don’t see why the rules can’t bend
To sometimes save a sparrow.
No, mysticism never helped
Us see behind closed doors:
And yet there is a mind at work,
The one that’s mine and yours.

12 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that more minds and hearts start to open up to allow room for compassion and a view to a future that will help us all thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rhyming talent is amazing. Enjoyed this poem
    Happy Wednesday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, LOVE your rhyming poetry! It reads with a rhythm that soothes the soul, and brings its message eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said!

    It seems to me our education systems no longer teach students how to think for themselves ... and so, en masse, we become easy prey for manipulators.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this ... the rhyme and the messages throughout. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done rhyme - a cliche ... is never out of season :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you’ve found some minds at work here at Poets and Storytellers United, Graham, and miracles come of their own accord. The secret is to stop looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent rhyming in this, Graham! Important message within.

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...