Tuesday, December 7, 2021

A Few More Limericks

I was racing my steed round the Crescent,
When I knocked down a ragged old peasant;
He writhed in the mud,
Then he spat out some blood —
His manners, in short, were unpleasant.


We’ve enacted a strict moratorium
On crackpot proposals for thorium:
If authors submit ‘em,
We’ll simply commit ‘em
To the care of the new sanatorium.


That instrument known as the Dow
Is shortly to reach forty thou.
The masses and I
In unison cry:
“How is it I don’t have a cow?”


Blossoms bloom, we’re in love, and it’s Spring!
How delightful, you’re going to sing!
You’re as sweet as a flower,
Yet I’m suddenly sour
When you say, “And now something by Sting. . .”


I signed in a drunkenly way
With an outfit that tests DNA:
They sent me a kit,
So I sent them some spit—
And now I’m the Lord of Biscay.


King Herod was no great theologist
And even a worse angelologist:
He heard some strange things
About beings with wings,
Then he sent for his court ornithologist.

11 comments:

  1. I so enjoy limericks and find them so seldom! Thank you! The last is quite amusing! Well, actually, I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great stuff! I love limericks, but am not very good at them myself. These are terrific. I think I love the first one best, with the wonderful bathos of the final line. (Not to mention the deft rhyming.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun. You don't like Sting? Or to be stung?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm gradually warming to him after forty years or so. When I heard Eva Cassidy's version of Fields of Gold I figured that there could be something to the man after all. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although you might doubt me, it's true:
    I love them! I LOVE THEM! I do!
    What else can I say,
    My Lord of Biscay;
    nobody writes them like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, MiLord, you've made my day. I love a good limerick, and these are stellar. Your wit reminds me much of that John Lithgow displays in his series of Trumpty rhymes. Devilishly clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You write these masterfully. All wonderful. I especially like the one on DNA and my dad always said the Dow was a lousy guage of wealth. Clever indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M'Lord, you caused much mirth for this lost soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turns out I was pronouncing Biscay with the wrong stresses!

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...