Friday, March 5, 2021

The Dandelions

The dandelions are laughing in the grass,
But soon I’ll be along to mow them down.
I bend to ape the customs of my class,
And such displays aren’t welcome in this town.
We’ve deemed that all our lawns must look alike,
Bereft of giddy-headed yellow charms;
The place for flowering things is on a hike,
With rippling streams and wholesome, oblong farms.
To stop and stare there is a place and time,
But don’t pretend it might be here and now:
The workweek does not yield to the sublime;
The lapwing’s nest is nothing to the plough.
No, we’re resolved to hasten, strain and strive,
To squeeze on through like earthworms, not to thrive.

7 comments:

  1. I've often wondered who deemed what was weed and what was flower. I think, for example, Queen Anne's Lace is quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet, we can buy dandelion seed to plant as a crop, and pay good money for dandelion greens in the grocery store! They are the brightest yellows in the garden. Nice soil they get large and beautiful! Plus, all the talk of feeding the bees, dandelions should be welcome.
    Queen Anne's Lace is beautiful, but I don't grow it because of a dog that has to taste test it all.
    I have photos of many weed flowers, they are amazing. I don't have a lawn in my front yard, so am not offending anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you must save the fluffy dandelion seed "things" for me to wish on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great message Love the last line. Therefore we must rebel and leave the garden full of wild flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think weeds behave in a bossy way with other plants so are best evicted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to allow mine to be mowed now and then, too, to show landlord the place is being taken care of. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful message in sonnet form. :)

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...