Wednesday, June 22, 2022

The Irresistible Wave

I want you to know that
I’m sorry for making a mess of things.
I had convictions.
I tried my best,
But
Circumstances unforeseeable
Carried me off against my will,
As they generally do to good-hearted people.
That’s my excuse,
Not an interesting one,
But there it is.
I found the world wrong
And wanted it right.
I pushed against it,
But, instead of an equal and opposite reaction,
The force that pressed back at me
Was an irresistible wave,
So powerful that it drove me back to the shore,
And even farther back up the beach
Than where I had started,
Leaving less than nothing.
The trap snapped back on me.


I lay there pebble-bruised,
Sprawled over yesterday’s black seaweed.
What dark karma operates in human affairs!
Pathetic.
I’m sorry.
Who am I to implore you to keep up the fight?
But I feel I must.
Perhaps the waves will weaken,
Who can say?
Good luck.
Just don’t think too badly of me.
After I’m gone,
Lower me gently,
Back into the waters,
And if I wash back up on the beach again,
This time I won’t mind.

1 comment:

  1. I like this poem. It’s has motion and depth- like the ocean. I fell the pull of fate/karma in it like the pull of the powerful ocean waves that dump one breathless on the sand. You are blameless and strong and have given your all.

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...