Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Every Dog Will Always Do His Duty

The canine is a model of contentment,
A citizen of pedigree unmatched:
He never acts from hubris or resentment,
Or mopes about an itch that can’t be scratched.
He helps the blind man get about the city;
Policemen see him as their truest friend;
He doesn’t care that you’re not young and pretty;
Just as you are, he’ll love you to the end.
His dinners are as humble as a peasant’s;
His lodgings are as simple as a monk’s;
He’s never miffed if you don’t buy him presents,
Or gets sucked into existential funks.
He never says a word if he’s mistreated,
Or disagrees when told that he’s been bad;
He makes no bones about where he is seated—
As long as he’s invited, he’ll be glad.
His barking is as righteous as old Moses’—
Protective of his loved ones’ life and home,
And, if you’re not the cad he first supposes,
His wrath will fade as quickly as his foam.
He’s tops as hunter, playmate, guard, or herder;
He analyzes anything that moves;
And, even when they lock you up for murder,
He’ll lick your face to show he still approves.
He doesn’t care how loud your music’s playing;
He’ll join you for a swim or for a jog;
He never disagrees with what you’re saying:
Oh, fealty supreme, thy name is dog!

Though every dog will always do his duty
And every bitch is eager to be best,
I never can work out for love or beauty
Why humans can’t display an equal zest:
They’re seldom up to date on vaccinations;
They’re not disposed to take their daily walk;
And, faced with any threats or deprivations,
The human can be guaranteed to balk.
If only we could live more like our dogs do,
Oh what a wondrous place this world would be:
Each woman with a trusted friend to turn to,
Each man contented under his own tree.

9 comments:

  1. I'm a dog lover, although I haven't a canine companion for many years. Your description of their character is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been grateful for the canine companions in my life. They often made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a dog lover. Just got a 6 month old Border collie mix. He does "disagree(s) when told that he’s been bad," which is why he starts training Saturday! I only went about 6 weeks with no dogs (3 cats though), before needing one. I hadn't been dog-less in over 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that after a little training he will be ready to do his duty!

      Delete
  4. Too bad dogs can't offer tutorials in friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dogs have always been a part of my life from childhood on and what a pleasure it has always been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I am primarily a cat person, I have also been blessed by the love of certain truly wonderful dogs. I love the way you told these well-known truths. The closing verse was a slightly startling change of pace – but of course unarguable also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I have always been more of a cat person, I have had beloved dogs in my life. The last one passed away 13 years ago and he is irreplaceable. Your poem does the canine justice, Graham, and reminds me how much I miss my dog. I especially love the lines:
    ‘He’s never miffed if you don’t buy him presents,
    Or gets sucked into existential funks.’

    ReplyDelete

Every Robot is a Psychopath

Every robot is a psychopath, No matter what they say; Even ones that smile at you, And wish you a nice day. Every robot is a psychopath...